Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The Florida Story

 The story I'm about to tell took place several year ago. My Extractor wasn't complete yet, I still had two functional legs, and Justin still had two functional arms. Tony was still getting his detective business off the ground, and making contacts in the Runner community who he could exchange information with, and help get the word out about his services.


He had picked up a rumor about an instance of the Manufactured Newborn in a small town in Florida. He asked me for a favor, in exchange for a Convocation feather he had manage to procure for me. So, I went to speak to the newly appointed Professor Malkator. I knew right off the bat that he was an oddball, and the staff pretty much just left him to his own devices. I didn't learn about him being the Descendant of a Goddess and a sorcerer until later.


But, I trusted the guy, so I asked him about methods of sealing a dangerous sample of Eldritch power. To my surprise, he knew I'd ask, and had one prepared. He handed me a mason jar engraved with a large number of symbols. He explained that the symbols drew in power from nearby Fears, and used that power to fuel their intended purpose. In this case, the symbols were meant to contain Eldritch forces.


He handed me the jar, along with a wakizashi. The weapon's sheath had been cut through at some point, and crudely gorilla glued back together. He told me its name was burner, it would listen to me if I commanded it to burn, and before handing it to me, he whispered to it to go along with me for now, and said he'd need it back when I was done.


He told me I would need them both.


As I couldn't teleport yet, Justin drove his bike up to the AMU, and we took a road trip to Florida from there. Took a hot minute, and my teachers weren't too happy about me taking time off from my classes without giving them an explanation, but I was doing pretty good in class, so they let it slide.


So, we got to the place we needed to be before the Newborn could grow too much. Unfortunately for us, we weren't the only ones after it. A group of sword wielding men, who I'm now realizing were probably Kraken, attacked us over it. A fight broke out.


Justin wielding an actual fucking scythe back then. And he was good with it. He used a reverse grip (for some reason) and train frequently with it, to the point he was referred to as the Reaper. I drew the wakizashi Malkator had giving me, and to my surprise, it really did burst into flames when I told it to burn.


This was before I got into the habit of describing all the details of the absurd fights I get into, so I'll give you all the cliff notes. We managed to drive/scare them off, but not before one of them sliced clean through Justin's forearm. We got him to the hospital, and he was taken care of. While he was recovering, I managed to track down the Newborn and contain it, before returning to visit him in the hospital.


He stayed silent for a few day, seemingly processing what had just happened, and how it would affect the rest of his life. I honestly felt really bad. I felt I was somewhat responsible for this. Eventually we actually spoke about it. He said he'd be fine. Eventually. He had spent a brief period of time with a death cult, who tried to teach him that his life belonged to their god, and that dying for it was the highest honor.


He obviously doesn't feel that way him self, but he's willing to make small sacrifices if it's for the people he cares about. He was sure he'd be able to get over his arm. In the end, we had succeeded, and secured the Newborn before it could become a problem.


But, as he told me, the biggest thing that was bugging him was that he wouldn't be able to use a scythe anymore, as it required both hands. Which caused me to remember that we had passed a local blacksmith/weapon maker. So, I paid him a visit, and requested a special commission.


A kusarigama is a Japanese weapon consisting of a Kama, a type of miniature scythe, attached to a chain with a weight on the other end. I asked the weapon maker if he could make something like that, but with some kind of clip in place of the weight.


He threw exactly that together in the space of five minutes using items he already had on hand. He gave me a discount, for giving him such a unique request, and told me to come see him again if I had any other ideas he could try out.


I brought the weapon to Justin once he was released, clipped one end of it to his pant's belt loop, and handed him the handle of the Kama. He was ecstatic to receive it, and immediately gave it a test throw at some nearby garbage.


Turns out, he had terrible aim. He missed completely and got the blade lodged in a tree trunk. But that didn't stop him. He had a cool new scythe he could use one handed, and he was determined to get good at using it. And, after a shit ton of practice, he's gotten pretty good and handling it at both melee and long-range. Still uses a reverse grip up close, though.


I told you this story for a few reasons. Explaining how I got the Baby, how Justin lost his arm and got his trademark weapon, and revealing how I became acquainted with Harry Osbourne. No, not that Harry Osbourne, though I do suspect his parent's were comic junkies. No, this Harry Osbourne, who I affectionately call Ozzy, is the weapon maker from this story.


I've done a lot of business with him over the years since, as has Solar Progeny. He made my old sword cane, he carved Tony's signature bokken from the sturdiest wood he could get his hands on, and, most recently, he made Justin's prosthetic scythe hand. The guy's a damn good smith, and loves making unique weapons, even giving me discounts when I come with him with interesting requests.


He also knows all about the Fears. Servant's and runners alike often come to him, asking for tools to hunt and/or defend themselves with. He doesn't pick sides in the struggle, but he does have a few favorite customers. And guess who that list includes.


Justin gave me some support as we walked into his shop, and he greeted us enthusiastically.


"Danny! Justin!" he said. "How you dude's doing?"


"Still missing a couple limbs between us," Just said, chuckling. "You?"


"Still got all mine," Ozzy replied. "What are you boys needing today?"


"A few things, actually," I said. "First off, I'm in need of a new cane."


"I'll hook you up," he said. "Any special requests?"


I produced the Baby from my coat and placed in on the counter between us. He raised an eyebrow.


"The Baby?" he asked. "You want me to work that into it?"


"If you can," I said.


"Don't you go underestimating me," he warned, examine the Baby up close. "Yeah, I should be able to do something with this. Just give me some time."


"There's another matter I need to discuss," I said. "Sera informed me that the situation regarding the forest is likely to escalate into all out war."


"I've heard," he replied.


"This forest is a serious threat," I said. "Not only that, but a supernatural threat. And there's no telling how many Fears are going to take part in the conflict."


"So how can I help?" he asked.


"A supernatural threat requires supernatural countermeasures," I said. "I need an army of Demi-Gods."


"Sorry," he replied. "I do business with literally two other Demi-God's, and I don't have their contact info."


"But you do do business with a Demi-God hunter," I reminded him.


He raised a brow.


"That guy?" he asked. "How many times has he tried you kill you?"


"Thrice," I said. "He gets closer every time, but I keep enough of my powers secret that I can catch him off guard in the end. I admire his skill. He's clever. researches all his targets and arms himself accordingly. Apparently the SMSC recruited him to bring HELLFIRE in. HELLFIRE says he wields a crazy fire proof spear. Sounds like something you would make."


"It's a glave composed of a heat resistant tungsten alloy," Ozzy growled in annoyance. IF there's one thing he can't stand, it's weapon illiteracy.


"If he respects me as well, he might be willing to hear me out," I said. "I've provided him plenty of challenges in the past."


"I'll send him a text, see if he'll be down to meet up," Ozzy said. "Anyone else in mind?"


"A mercenary," I said. "He's currently employed by Kraken, but I think I have a way of beating whatever price their paying him."


"You aren't seriously think of recruiting the Bloody fucking Biker, are you?" Justin asked. "After what happened with Kallaway, do you really think that's a good idea?"


"He considers Kallaway a rival now," I said. "If there's a chance for a potential rematch, he might be willing. We just need to work out payment. And for that, I need to meet with the Archangel. Know anyone who can help with that?"


Ozzy looked over my shoulder, as the doors behind me opened.


"You know that one phrase?" Ozzy asked. "Speak of the Devil..."


"And he shall appear," came Rillek's voice from behind me.


I turned, to see him there, carrying a damaged machete/ Justin tensed up at his presence.


"Justin," he said. "Daniel. I'm assuming I fit into the conversation you've been having somehow."


"Rillek," I said. "I didn't know you did business here."


"Machetes are a rather satisfying weapon," he said. "But they can only take so much."


"Because you always get the cheap shit," Ozzy said. "I could make you a much more durable one, you know."


"I'm on a budget, Osbourne," Rillek replied, going to browse some of the weapons Ozzy had on display. "So, why is my sudden presence so convenient?"


"I need to see you boss," I said. "The big man."


"Unlikely," Rillek said. "He won't come at might call. I've only ever met him a couple times."


He turned to face me.


"Why don't you kill me where I stand?" he asked. "That may draw his attention."


"Yeah, not doing that," I said. "You must know some way to set up a meeting."


"I'm afraid not," Rillek said. "I guess you could cross your fingers and hope he magically shows-"


"ENOUGH!"


The lights flickered, and black mist began curling over the floor. Ozzy let out a soft "Not again" and Rillek hurriedly picked a weapon and went to check out, realizing what was about to happen.


A second later, I was face to face with my Grandfather. Fucking Archangel, pulling that shit...


The Archangel is the afterlife. A walking version of it. He/it claims the souls of anyone who dies, and it's not pleasant. Additionally, it can take the form of anyone it's claimed. And it was choosing to face me in the form of my grandfather. Jackass.


"Archie," I said, shoving down all the emotions. IT was time to talk business.


"Doctor," the Angel replied. "You've attained my power, by tearing the clothes I gave to Malkator. Dick move on your part."


"Says the guy wearing my grandfather as a Halloween costume," I replied. "I need to asked something of you."


"Cutting to the chase?" it asked. "Good. I have little time to waste."


I gave them my demands.


"I see," it said. "And what do you offer in return?"


I raised a hand, and a sphere of black mist formed in my palm.


"I offer the soul of Dobroslav Abreu," I said.


The Angel cocked its head to the side.


"Oh?" I asked. "Didn't realize I was missing that one. Very well then. A soul for a soul."


He raised a hand, and dark mist gathered around it.


"So we have a deal?" it asked.


"As long as you're giving me the soul I asked for," I said.


It nodded, and we clasped out misty hands together, exchanging the souls we held.


Now, the power I gained from the Archangel allows me to absorb dead people's souls, much like the Archangel does. I had secretly picked up Abreu's soul when I arrived on the scene of the Tyler incident. Can explain my thought process. I just showed up, felt a soul that hadn't been claimed yet, and snatched it up, then turned my attention to the event unfolding. No one seemed to notice at the time, but I figured I could use his soul as a bargaining chip if I ever had to do business with the Archangel. In hindsight, it might have turned out better if I had given the situation my immediate attention...


Anyway, I completed my business with the Angel, who silently departed. Rillek left afterwards, mumbling about how overwhelming his bosses presence is. Justin came out of hiding behind a weapon rack, and Ozzy took a few seconds to relax himself.


"Hate when those thing's show up," he said. "Their just so... screwy and weirs and wrong."


"Yeah," Justin said. "You got that right."


"Sorry about that," I said. "I was hoping to arrange a meeting elsewhere. I wasn't expecting the Angel himself to just... show up, in the middle of your store."


"It's fine," Ozzy said, picking up the Baby. "You guys just mke yourselves at home for now. I've got work to do..."


"Sure thing," I said. "So, how much will-"


"Ah-ah-ah!" He snapped, wagging a finger at me. "None of that!"


He examined the Baby, with a look of excitement in his eyes.


"I have a chance to work with Newborn steel," he said. "That's payment enough!"


Okay, he gives discounts often, but free? I'll fucking take it.


So, we're working on getting a bunch of Demi-Gods and people who can hold their own against them. Hopefully, that'll be enough to deal with whatever's on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment