Sunday, June 9, 2019

Everything goes to shit part 2

I teleported straight into the middle of my lab. That Guy Tyler stumbled backwards in alarm (I hadn't told him I can teleport yet), and Paris looked up from what he was doing, wearing a concerned expression.

"We have to go," I told them both. "Now!"

I placed a hand on the Extractor and teleported it to a safe location before returning right beside the Enhancer.

"How did you-?" That Guy Tyler stammered, but I raised a hand to silence him.

"I'll explain everything later," I said.

I teleported the Enhancer elsewhere before returning.

"What's wrong?" Paris asked.

"The SMSC are coming," I said.

"Uh oh...," Paris muttered.

"The what?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"An organization that deals with the supernatural," Paris explained. "They've tried shutting Daniel down before."

"Get all of your belongings," I ordered. "We're abandoning this base."

"But-," That Guy Tyler said.

"Do as he says," Paris said.

That Guy Tyler hesitated for a few seconds before exiting the room.

"How do you know they're coming?" Paris asked.

"I had a vision," I explained. "An in it, you were wounded and Tyler was dead."

"Oh shit," Paris said. "This is serious..."

I teleported some more of my equipment to different locations, then grabbed a specialized suitcase made to safely hold mason jars and brought it over to my samples.

"But how do you know they're already coming?" he asked.

"Why would the Vision choose to show me that at the time she did? I replied. "Because if she waited any longer, it would be too late to change it. I would've taken too long to get back, and I would have returned to find your corpses and a possible ambush. She was giving me a chance to stop that from happening."

That Guy Tyler returned with his backpack, and I began loading my samples into the suitcase.

"Sorry, Wolfie," I said, placing them in the suitcase as well and locking it shut.

I moved over to a window and scanned the streets. I saw them pull up in a black van.

"Shit," I said. "They're here..."

"What should we do?" Paris asked.

"I go greet our guests and keep them busy," I said. "I'm the one they want. You two sneak out the back and leave with in your car. I'll bail on them once I know you guys are safe."

"Are you sure?" Paris asked.

"Go," I commanded.

Paris nodded He lead That Guy Tyler out of the room. I took care of one last thing before teleporting in front of the lab to confront the two agents. They were in the process of approaching the front door, and took a step back in surprise when I arrived.

"Greetings," I said. "The Vision has informed me that you two have some business with me."

"Mr. Ferris-," the man began.

"Dr. Ferris," I growled back. "And you are?"

"I am agent Moss Garden," the man said. "And this is my partner, Agent Touchshriek."

I shrugged.

"Not Bowie's best work," I admitted. "Moss Garden is some nice ASMR, but Algeria fucking Touchshriek? You could've picked a better one than that."

"I notice you're alone," Agent Garden said. "Where are your colleagues, Paris Jacob and Tyler Vines?"

"Elsewhere," I stated, wondering what was taking them so long to get out of here. "Why do you asked."

"We have orders to take the three of you in," Agent Touchshriek said.

"Let me guess," I said. "Dead or alive, right?"

They both shared a confused glance.

"I know because of the vision I was shown before coming here," I explained. "I saw Tyler dead, and the two of you demanding my location from a wounded Paris. Kind of a dick move on your part."

"You have to understand, Dr. Ferris," Agent Garden said, placing a hand on his gun. "You're a dangerous man. As such, we've been authorized to use equally 'dangerous' force if any of you resist."

I promise you all, that I am far more dangerous than a couple of pistols. However, as my attention was drawn to his handgun, I became aware of something very worrying.

Eldritch energy. Like the stuff I use my Extractor to collect. I could sense various forms of it radiating from they're guns. That's when another detail clicked with me.

That's what happened to Elie's blueprints. They had them. They had an Extractor of their own.

At this time, Paris's car peeled out from the back of the lab, tearing past us. the Agent Garden quickly drew his gun and fired at the ground the car was approaching. A bolt of silver-blue light shot out from the gun, and the ground it hit suddenly froze over, just as the card drove over it. Paris spun out of control and ended up crashing into a streetlight.

"No!" I shouted.

I dropped the suitcase and teleported between the crashed car and the Agents and turned on them angrily.

"You stay right fucking there, you bastards!" I hissed, aiming my finger gun at them. Agent Garden looked almost ready to fire again, but hesitated.

I turned to check on the wreck. Paris, seeming to be unharmed, for the most part, had gotten out of the car and was in the process of opening the passenger side door to help That Guy Tyler out. He has clearly in shock, and was bleeding from the forehead. I'd later learn that this was due to the passenger side airbags being delayed slightly.

I turned back to the Agents, and stood straight, glaring them down.

"You come here," I said. "Challenge me. Demand my cooperation. And threaten the life of my second favorite intern. And all of this on the day of my daughters wedding."

The two of them shared a confused look. Why do my references always fall flat...

"Look, let me make this perfectly clear to you two," I said, raising five fingers. "You have five seconds to leave us the hell alone and get the fuck out of my sight. Otherwise, I'm going to start getting serious."

I ticked down one of my fingers, but I seemed to have failed my intimidation roll. While Agent Touchshriek hesitated, Garden raised his gun again, firing a literal ball of fire at me. I quickly grabbed my whistle and blew hard on it, amplifying the noise as much as I could and directing it forward. The fireball slowed to a halt, and I concentrated on making the soundwaves surround it, slowly snuffing the flames out, until the depleted bullet fell to the ground, useless.

I didn't give them another chance. I teleported right up to Agent Garden and smacked him over the head with my cane, bringing him down. All that teleportation was wearing me down at this point, but I sucked it up and turned to Agent Touchshriek.

"Don't give me a reason to hit a woman," I warned her.

She raised her gun, but I quickly teleported behind her.

"I said don't," I snapped, before striking her in the back of the head, seemingly knocking her out.

I slowly limped over to the others to check on them.

"You guys okay?" I asked.

"Been better," Paris said. "Alive, at least. Tyler's airbag was faulty. He got hit on the head, but it trigger in time to stop any more damage than that."

That Guy Tyler looked behind me and frantically pointed in the direction of the agents. I turn and discovered I hadn't hit Agent Touchshriek as hard as I'd thought. She was on her knees and elbows, and had her gun raised. She pulled the trigger, and a bolt of lightning shot from the barrel.

I reacted quickly, aiming my finger gun and shouting "BANG!"

A bolt of lightning shot out from my fingertip, and the two of them exploded as they collided. I quickly grabbed the other two and teleported somewhere else. We all collapsed in pain from doing so. I had really pushed the teleporting too far that day...

After a few minutes of recovery, That Guy Tyler sat up, slightly, and asked "This hurts. A lot."

"I hate when you do that," Paris said.

"Sorry," I said.

"What was that?" That Guy Tyler asked. "You can teleport? And why does it hurt so much?"

"Yes, I can teleport," I said. "And the reason it hurts is because whenever I do it, I briefly pass through another world. A world humans aren't designed to survive it. I've gotten used to it, more or less, but I've only had to drag Paris through there a couple times, and this is the first time for you, so naturally, it was a painful experience."

"And... the lightning bolt," That Guy Tyler said, clearly still processing the whole experience. "How did you...?"

"I can generate and manipulate electricity," I said.

"And... that thing with the whistle...," he continued.

"Sonokinesis," I said. "I can control the volume, frequency, and direction of sound waves."

I managed to sit up and look down on him. He was still visibly shaken, barely propping himself up on his elbows. Paris shot me a look that clearly said 'you need to tell him'. So I let out a sigh and addressed the kid.

"You wanna know how I can do all that, and what's going on," I said. "That's pretty obvious. The answer is that I'm a demi-god."

"What?" he asked.

"I have powers," I said. "You've seen a few of them tonight. I'm more powerful than normal people are. In fact, the purpose for my experiments... all those samples I collect and extract energy from...it's all in order to make myself stronger. And if a few people have to get hurt in the process... well, that's something I can live with."

I waited for a moment, while he gathered his thoughts.

"Who were those guys?" he eventually asked.

"The SMSC," I replied. "They deal with the supernatural. Specifically, the Fears."

"Fears?" he asked.

"Well, about how I just called myself a Demi-god," I said. "The Fears are basically gods themselves. They are far stronger than I currently am. The SMSC's goal is to combat, and hopefully defeat them someday. A lost cause, honestly. But they've deemed me a threat as well, which puts us in danger."

He fell silent for a few minutes, processing that information.

"Now's your chance to back out," I informed him. "Neither of us will hold it against you for leaving now."

"I... I need to think abot… everything," he said.

"Take your time," I said. "You're free to contact when you've made your decision."

He finally managed to stand up, and looked around.

"I know where this is," he said. "I have a friend around here. I should be able to crash with him."

"Good idea," I said. "The Agent's new your full name. Might be a good idea not to go home right away."

He was about to walk away, when he realized something.

"Your suitcase," he said. "Those dangerous samples of your. Where is it?"

"I left it behind," I said.

"But, if they survived that blast, then they'd have access to all of it," he said.

"No they wouldn't," I said. "I swapped it out with some fakes just before confronting them. Fake blood, some tar, regular flowers, etc. I left them behind as a decoy to trick them into thinking they'd got something out of all this."

And I'm comfortable admitting that here, because it's been a few days, and they've probably already figured it out.

That Guy Tyler then left me and Paris alone.

"You could have gone about that better," Paris said. "So, what do we do now?"

"I don't know," I said. "The old base is a lost cause now. We'll need to find a new one. Until then, we'd better keep a low profile."

4 comments:

  1. Interesting... So, if the suitcase you left behind had fake samples, where's the one with the real samples?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...am i going to have to be the one to point out that a teleporting, lightning-summoning demigod made a d&d reference? you have so much power, and yet you use it for evil. you disgust me.

    ReplyDelete