Thursday, June 20, 2019

Our next goal

"'A Detailed Guide to Find Spooky Locations' by R.R. Hood!" I announced confidently.

"Um... what?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"Is that a book or something?" Paris followed up.

"Not just any book!" I said. "Specifically, it is one of several books stolen from the University!"

"Wait... the AMU?" Paris asked. "Oh god, this isn't about what I think it is, is it?"

"Look," I said. "That book, and others like it, were stolen by some unidentified group. Suspects pending... That book may contain information that could lead us to more samples."

"Oh, right," That Guy Tyler said. "Samples. But what's the AMU? I'm a little confused here..."

"It's a school," Paris explained. "Daniel has a bit of a history with them."

"What kind of history?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"They expelled him," Paris said.

"Gee, thanks...," I sighed. "Look, if we get those books back,... skim through them a little bit... and return them, that'll clear the air with them. At least a little..."

"Everything you just said was stupid enough to discredit all three of your PHDs," Paris said.

"Fuck you too," I replied.

"How do we even find these books?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"We know a guy," I said.

"Solar Progeny, right?" Paris asked.

"This kind of work is their department," I said. "I'll give 'em a call and see if they can find anything."

I pulled out my phone and dialed a number. I got an answer a few moments later.

"Solar Progeny Detective Agency, Ciel Speaking," came the reply. "How may I help?"

"Hello, Miss Potomac," I said. "How have you been?"

"Oh god damn it, it's you...," She answered, her tone shifting. "Justin! Caller on hold! You deal with-"

I was then treated to some soft, royalty free slow-jazz, before someone else picked up.

"I'm judging by her reaction that you're someone we know," came the familiar voice of Justin Gremori Ferin.

"Hey Justin," I said. "How's things?"

"Oh, it's you," he said. "How's the leg?"

"Still hurts," I said. "How's the arm?"

"Still in Florida," he answered. "Unless someone's moved it. What are you calling about?"

"Books stolen from the AMU," I replied.

"You know Tony refuses to do business with them," Justin replied.

"What if I told you there was a missing person involved?" I said.

Paris and Tyler were both visibly shocked by that revelation.

"That could change things," Just admitted. "Any details?"

"I'm not a hundred percent sure," I said. "But this person was in possession of a unique book of their own, and I suspect the same ne'er-do-wells may be involved."

"Who says 'Ne'er-do-well anymore?" Paris muttered.

"I've got some blogs you can check out for more information," I said. "Can you right them down?"

"I'm holding a phone," Justin pointed out.

"Is McCleary there?" I asked.

"Terrence!" Justin called out. "I need you to write some stuff down for me!"

I gave him the blog addresses, and he agreed to look into it and give me a call back on whether they could help. Then we said our goodbyes and hung up.

"Now what?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"Now," I said, "We wait."

No comments:

Post a Comment