Thursday, May 30, 2019

Next steps

"So, you've got the Intrusion and Vision now," PAris said to me. "What's next?"

"I dunno," I said. "Unnamed Child would be good to add to the collection, but tracking her down would be difficult. Maybe Wood Bitch? I'm sure we'd be able to find some Puppets somewhere..."

"Want me to leave a message with Solar Progeny?" Paris asked. "See if Tony can find any activity?"

"I guess," I said. "I'd rather not trouble him too much, but we can at least ask if he knows anything..."

"I'll give him a call after lunch," Paris said.

Around that time, That Guy Tyler opened the door.

"Um, boss...," he said. "There's a lady at the door wanting to speak with you..."

"Thank you," I said. "I'll go take care of it."

I went up to the front door to find a young Japanese woman waiting there.

"Ogenki desu ka, Daniel-san!" she said, seeming a little flustered.

"Dr. Ferris will do just fine," I said. "What's your name?"

"My name is Kimiko Kelterry," she informed me.

Interesting. "Kelterry" is far from a common Japanese surname. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard that surname.

"I've come here on behalf of Elie-Sempai," she said.

"Elie Graves?" I asked.

"Hai," she replied.

I haven't spoken to Elie in quite a while. And the fact that she refers to him as "Sempai" implies that she's a student at the AMU, like him.

"What does he need with me?" I asked.

"He wishes to discuss the Extractor," she said. "He says he's near perfecting it, and wishes for your input."

"I see," I replied.

I suppose some exposition is in order.

You know that Extractor of mine? It wasn't my idea...

Elie Grave and I are old acquaintances, and we used to share notes with each other frequently. A long time ago, he showed me the incomplete blueprint to the Extractor. He couldn't quite complete it, so I gave it a try myself. The result was my modified toaster oven, which is still far from perfect, as it has backfired more times than I care to admit. IF he really has figured out how to make it work properly, then that is something I'd like to see.

"Very well," I said. "When and where would he like to meet?"

"Tomorrow night, if possible," she said. "At the library of Seline Dhark."

Good thing I know where that is, and can teleport that distance.

"All right," I said. "Inform him that I'll be arriving around 8 o'clock."

"Of course," she said. "Sayonora, Dani- I mean, Dr. Ferris."

"Goodbye, Kelterry-san," I said.

So, it seems I have a reunion with an old pal. I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment