Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Opportune Moment

A little over an hour ago, I was confronted by a large group of Timberwolves. Most of them carried daggers or bats. Only a couple of them had guns, which was good. Too many guns would be a problem.

The gunslingers stood at what they must've assumed was a safe distance, while the rest of the wolves charged at me. One of the gunslingers took aim at me, but I closed the distance between us in a moment, startling him. I hooked his gun hand and forced it in the direction of one of his comrades. He pulled the trigger on reflex, causing a bullet to tear through the side of one of the batters. He went down, crying out in pain.

It took a second for the rest of them to process what had just happened, but when they did, the melee fighters changed direction and charged toward my new location, while the second gunslinger fired his own gun. I still had the first guys arm hooked, so I forced him between us to take the hit. He shouted a couple choice swear words before I elbowed him in the head, knocking him out.

I then appear right beside the second gunslinger and hooked his arm as well, forcing him to aim at another batter, and, like the first guy, he pulled the trigger on reflex, taking the batter down.. I then clubbed him with my cane and he went down. The rest of them hesitated at seeing that. I calmly faced them all and leaned on my cane, staring them down.

"I would have assumed you'd all be informed by now that I can teleport," I said. "And yet you still seem taken aback by it."

As a side note to anyone who may be skeptical of this, I'll confirm that it's completely true, and should be less unbelievable then that whole thing with the magic spider and the Extractor. It hurts a bit, but I can, in fact, teleport.

They then decided to pull themselves together and rushed at me again. I appeared in the middle of them and hooked the arm of one of the batters. I forced his arm into motion, smacking one of the knife nuts with his bet. He dropped the bat in alarm, and I quickly scooped it up and knocked him out with it. I then teleported a couple feet away and knocked out a couple of them that were standing close together with both the bat and my cane.

I then turned to strike another of them, but his reaction time was as good as mine, and as my cane collided with his skull, his knife flew upwards, leaving a long gash on my chest. Shortly afterwards, I felt another knife slash me from behind. I vanished from the group, appearing a distance away. As I mentioned before, teleporting does hurt a bit, and it was starting to wear on me. Combined with the knife wounds I had just gotten, I wasn't in the best condition at that time. Like I said in the last post; large groups can be a bit of a problem.

They all turned to me. The could see that I was weak, and began approaching me menacingly. And slowly. Cocky bastards...

Unfortunately for them, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye that they didn't. The Descendant I had been keeping an eye on was walking toward them, with a pissed expression on his face and a grocery bag carrying a two liter of soda in his hand.

I pick myself up and leaned on my cane again, shooting the wolves a confident look.

"Do you assholes really think a couple lacerations are gonna keep me down?" I asked.

They paused, and one of the knife nuts, in a state of confusion, asked one of his comrades "What's a laceration?"

"Oh, you uneducated twat!" I angrily shouted, throwing my stolen bat at his head, knocking him out. "Expand your fucking vocabulary you simple bitches!"

While they were all taken aback by that outburst, the Descendant, who was now significantly closer, began twirling his grocery bag rapidly, before releasing it, sending it flying at one of the wolves in the front. He was stunned by it, and I took a chance to appear up close to him and smack him down with my cane before hooking the grocery bag and throw it back to the Descendant. 

As he rushed forward, he grabbed the soda out of it, allowing the wind to blow the bag away. As he moved, he snatched up a discarded knife that was nearby, and I teleported behind him, away from all the wolves.

The Descendant threw the soda bottle, putting a bit of a spin on it, then threw the knife at it, piercing the spinning bottle, and causing soda to spray all over the wolves, both drenching and startling them.

"Who the fuck are you!?" One of them demanded.

The Descendant straightened up, cracking his knuckles.

"David Kallaway," he said. "Pleased to beat ya."

"Thanks for the assist," I said. "I'm-"

"The prick who's been stalking me the past week," he said. "I know."

"I was gonna say 'Dr. Ferris', but okay, that's fair I guess," I replied. "What do you think our odds are?"

"Seeing as you're barely standing, I'd say slim to none," he answered.

"I was barely standing in the first place," I said, gesturing to my cane.

"Whatever," he said. "Either way, I have questions for you, and they can't get answered if either of us get killed. So I guess I'm gonna have to win this fight. You stay back. You'll only hold me back in your condition."

"Rude," I muttered.

With that, he rushed forward, and started fighting them. And, I must say, he held his ground pretty well. I couldn't follow the fight very well, so I won't bother reciting ever last detail like I've done up 'til now, but he is clearly well trained Mauy Thai, and possibly some other martial arts as well, and seems to have some strong battle instincts.

Unfortunately, the wolves numbers were a bit too much, and at the end of the fight, he got knocked out, and one of them literally threw his unconscious body at me. Not how I wanted things to go, but I could still work with it.

I had gotten some of my strength back, and after his brawl, there were only 6 of the wolves left. Or so I thought.

They surrounded me and the unconscious Kallaway, weapons drawn. But then a voice rang out from the shadows.

"Hold!" the voice commanded.

They all froze, and a man stepped out of the shadows, walking toward me. A man I recognized. He was dressed in a black longcoat, along with shades and a fedora. His hair was shoulder length, and somewhat greasy.

"Hello, Mr. Ferris," he said.

"Dr. Ferris," I said. "Seriously, Rillek, when will you acknowledge my three PHDs? I worked hard for those!"

"Forgive me," he replied. "But there's no point in acknowledging the achievements of a dead man. We have orders from the Apostles themselves to eliminate you before you grow too strong."

"I believe the number of fallen soldier around you will indicate that I've already grown too strong," I said. "And if they want me out of the picture, Why'd you tell your guys to stand down?"

Rillek sighed.

"In spite of the threat you pose, the Apostles are willing to grant you a semblance of mercy," he said.

"At what cost?" I asked.

"End your research," he said. "All of it. Cease your pursuit of power, and live a normal life, leaving the Fears and their goals to themselves."

I smiled at him. I knew this was is offer, and I sure as hell wasn't accepting it.

"Yeah, gonna have to go with no," I said, raising my whistle to my lips. "Go fuck yourself, Rillek."

Realizing what I was about to do, Rillek quickly reached for his gun, but he wasn't fast enough. I placed the whistle in my mouth, plugged Kallaway's ears, and blew.

Now, fun fact. In addition to teleporting, I can also blow that whistle loudly. Like, super loud. Like, loud enough to knock out all 7 of those bastards at once.

Afterwards, I called Paris over, we put Kallway in the back seat, and we're headed back to the office.

Now, my entire goal has been to get Kallaway to my office. This... wasn't how I was hoping to go about it. I was hoping for a scenario that didn't involve dragging his unconscious body all the way there. But hey, I'll take what I can get.

I'll keep you all posted on how the rest of this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment