Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Progress Has Been Made

After a few days, That Guy Tyler finally acquired the sample I needed. He brought me the jar full of bugs he had collected. I examined each one carefully until one caught my attention. It seemed just like all the others, but I could feel that it was different.

I removed the small wolf spider and held it in the palm of my hand.

"Hello, little guy," I said, smiling.

"Um, I pretty sure that's poisonous," That Guy Tyler pointed out.

"It won't hurt me," I said.

Tyler looked a bit closer.

"Is it... cowering?" he asked

I wouldn't say it was "cowering", exactly, but its legs were trembling slightly, as it stared directly into my face. It knew exactly who I am.

"Come with me," I instructed.

I led That Guy Tyler into another room, where Paris was waiting.

"Get it ready," I instructed.

Paris noticed the spider in my hand and stepped back in alarm.

"Why are you holding it!?" he asked.

"It won't bite," I said confidently. "And even if it does, there's no venom in this would I can't survive."

Paris frown disapprovingly.

"I think you may be exaggerating a bit there," he said.

"Just get the extractor ready," I said.

Now, upon seeing the Extractor, you might mistake it for a toaster over. Because it used to be one...

I repurposed it, however, into something much different. I placed the spider into a small glass jar, which I inserted into the Extractor. I closed the door on it, and the little guy scrambled frantically, before realizing there was no way out.

"Cell," I said, opening my hand in Paris's direction.

Paris placed the Cell in my hand. What I call the "Cell" looks a lot like a very large, see-through battery. And in some ways, that's exactly what it is.

I placed the Cell into a spot on the Extractor and locked it into place.

"What is this exactly?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"You'll see," I said, starting the Extractor up. I leaned in real close to the Extractor, whispering to the spider. "Hang tight, little dude. This is probably going to kill you."

The Extractor began making a number of different noises, and the lights inside of it came on. I turned what used to be the heat dial slightly. Slowly, a sickly green light began spreading out from the spider.

"Just a it more," I muttered, turning the dial just a bit more.

The light coming from the spider spread out more, taking up most of the interior of the Extractor, like a shining mist.

"Good," I said softly. "Now, to amplify it."

I turned the former timer up, bit by bit. As I did, the green light grew thicker. Stronger. By the time I had turned the dial to its maximum, the light had taken on new features. Shaped that looked like insect parts (legs, wings, antennae, and whatnot) began randomly appearing and disappearing inside the strange light.

"Going good so far," I said hesitantly. "Now for the final step. Compression."

I reached up to where the cell was plugged in, and pressed a button on either side. The Green light began flowing through a number of wires connecting the Extractor to the Cell. Paris and I both held our breathes in anticipation. This was the part where there was often a problem. Sometimes, the machine had trouble compressing the power, which could cause a number of problems, ranging from the Cell cracking harmlessly, to the entire Extractor exploding. Probably should've warned That Guy Tyler of the risks involved with using this thing...

The green energy was slowly compressed and transferred into the Cell. We waiting, on edge, until the energy was completely drained from the Extractor and compressed inside of the Cell. Once it was finished, the Extractor made a loud Ding sound (a feature of the toaster oven I decided to keep) to inform us the transfer was successful. Paris and I let our breaths out in relief.

Success.

I removed the Cell and examined it closely. The thick, green light was sealed inside of it, constant shifting, occasionally growing and losing bug parts.

"What is that?" That Guy Tyler asked. He had been silent up until then, likely in shock of what he had just witnessed.

"Energy," I replied.

"What... kind of... energy?"

He asked.

"The unknowable kind," I said. "Powerful. Dangerous. Erratic."

My lips curled into a small grin.

"Eldritch."

I pocketed the Cell for now, and turned my attention back to the Extractor.

"What are you going to do with it?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"That's my little secret," I said, as I opened up the Extractor.

 I removed the container with the spider inside. I examined it closely. The spider was lying on its back, motionless. I tapped on the glass, and waited a few second. After a while, the spider came to. I stretched its legs slowly and flipped itself over. I smiled.

"There's my little trooper," I said.

I brought it over to a shelf where I keep all my other samples and set it down.

"That Guy Tyler," I said.

"Yes sir?" he replied.

"I know this is your first time in this room," I said. "You're welcome to come here at any time, but I have three rules. First of all, touch nothing on this shelf. Everything here is incredibly dangerous."

"Okay," he replied.

"Rule two," I said. "Don't touch the Extractor. Or that machine over there."

I waved toward a much larger machine I have in the corner.

"Sure," he said. "What's rule three?"

I made my way towards the door and simply said "If there's a sock on the doorknob, don't come in."

"What?" he asked.

"Don't worry about it," I said. "I feel like celebrating this success of ours. Let's get some grub."

"Really?" That Guy Tyler asked.

"I can't afford to pay you guys, but I can swing for a meal every so often," I said. "Now come on. There's this Mexican buffet that just opened up that I've been dying to try."

So, we  went, got some food, and had some fun.




Also, if anyone in the comments wants to help me come up with a name for my new pet eldritch wolf spider, I'm open to suggestions.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I came here to this comment section with so many possible names, but nope... I'm admitting defeat. I got nothing better than that one.

      Delete